NFF Didn’t Sack Me – Eguavoen
Former interim head coach of the Super Eagles, Augustine Eguavoen, has dismissed reports that the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, sacked him.
Eguavoen said he stepped down as interim coach of the Super Eagles following Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Recall that Eguavoen resigned after failing to qualify Nigeria for the 2022 World Cup.
However, reports had emerged that the NFF sacked Eguavoen following Nigeria’s World Cup playoff 1-1 draw against the Black Stars of Ghana last month.
Speaking during SuperSports’ program, Monday Night Football, Eguavoen debunked claims that he was fired by the NFF, insisting that he resigned from his position and returned back to his office as the federation’s Technical Director.
“After the game, there were lots of emotions running through and after 48 hours, I wrote to the NFF thanking them for the opportunity they gave me to lead the team,” he said.
“The target was to qualify for the World Cup, but we did not achieve that, hence I stepped down and went back to my office as Technical Director of the NFF.”
Eguavoen recorded four wins, two draws and a defeat during his three-month spell as Super Eagles interim manager